‘Because in the end you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.’ – Jack Kerouac
- Escaping Reality – No matter how much we love our careers, our home and our everyday life, there’s something magical about escaping reality for a little while. The anticipation we all feel in the run up to our travels, knowing the out of office is on, our bags are packed and we can leave real life behind for just a while is second to none. It’s akin to fulfilling a long awaited dream whether it’s with others or alone.
- Creating Memories – You may have noticed the quote above, it’s one of my favourites from On The Road because it is so so true. Look back over the past couple of years and if someone asks you what amazing things you’ve done, I would hazard a guess that you won’t tell them about your work day; you’ll tell them about that beautiful island you visited with your other half or that mountain you climbed with your friends.
- Inspiring Others – This is a huge one for myself and a lot of blogging friends of mine, as everything we feature on our blogs we would recommend to others. There’s nothing greater than visiting a part of the world you adore so much that you want to tell your friends and family about every day you spent there and would recommend them visiting too. Being able to inspire another persons family holiday, romantic getaway or even which Trek America trip to experience, makes me incredibly happy.
4. Enhancing Content – I am a perfectionist, you all know that by now. I want to keep my little corners of the internet fresh, interesting and if I can, as unique as possible. I always want to be creative and offer that little extra something for anyone who follows me but just as I do it for the blog, I do it for me too. These are the images that I will cherish forever and will be forever proud of just as anyone would feel pride in the photographs they curate.
5. Expanding Our Minds – There is so much for us to see and experience out there that I sometimes don’t even know where would be next on the list. One thing I am sure of is that no matter where we travel and who we travel with we are constantly learning about everyone and everything else on our planet. You may not go as far as to set out on a spiritual journey with the aim of ‘finding yourself’ but I know that no matter what our choice of travel we will always bring something back home with us.
6. Growing Closer – Quite often we travel to celebrate and feel closer to others in our lives. We meet people on our travels who would never have crossed our paths and who we continue to treasure long after our journey ends. We also choose to travel with soul mates, with friends and with family; only growing closer and celebrating memories past, present and those yet to come.
7. Resetting Ourselves – Sometimes we just need to stop and recharge before we burn out, and traveling can be the perfect way to achieve just that. I know for me even the journey itself can be utterly therapeutic to turn off, recharge my batteries and not touch my emails. Finding a destination where you can relax, take a deep breath and choose to do whatever you desire is the perfect antidote to our stressful lives. Whether that be a jolly down to Cornwall, a bed and breakfast in the Cotswolds or a cruise around the coast of Italy.
8. Achieving Dreams – Traveling can offer a way to live our dreams like nothing else seems to do. It’s a topic of conversation I hear so often with friends, with work colleagues and with anyone I have the pleasure of meeting. We all have ideal holidays to experience, adventures we are dying to live and wonders of the world we dream of seeing with our own two eyes. We can achieve whatever we set our minds to.
9. Discovering Homes – I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about why I consider different places in the world home and this is one of the reasons I love to travel. I leave a piece of my heart wherever I travel and in some cases fall head over heels for certain cities and destinations. The feeling of finding that place, somewhere in this vast world, that for you could be home, is perfection.
‘Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.’ – Jack Kerouac
Why do you travel? I would love to hear why it is you choose to see the world and what places you dream of visiting!