Prepping your Skin for the Autumn
Where did the summer go? It came and it went and I enjoyed every moment, but we’re moving into scarves, heavy coats and windy weather territory. And I’m not too sure if Im upset or quite excited about that thought. I’m rather fond on leather boots and woollen coats, so it might be a welcomed change from shorts and tees.
However, the change in the weather does call for a little mix up in our skincare routines. Like it or not, changes in temperature can really alter the skins appearance and texture and I know from my own experiences that the colder months make my skin really dry, dull and temperamental.
So, I thought a skincare catch up was due and that I would fill you in on all of my skincare secrets and the products that I will be using over the next few months! Here are six brands that specialise in excellent skincare, from makeup removers through to repairing oils and thick creams. From top to bottom, here is my new Autumn skincare routine.
Six steps to clean, refreshed, hydrated and Autumn prepped skin.
1. Be sure to always take off your makeup before bed, even if you cannot be bothered with the hassle of removing stubborn waterproof mascara. My favourite waterproof eye makeup remover is the Vichy Purete Thermale Remover, and with this product, there doesn’t need to be any excuses. It wipes away and dissolves even the toughest waterproof mascaras in seconds.
2. Cleanse. And cleanse again. Keeping your skin completely fresh and clean before applying your nightly face creams is a must. I have a number of favourites, as you may have seen from my Caudalie cleansing post, but I switch between a few nightly. Another cleanser that I use frequently is the Rodial Glamtox Cleansing Balm, that has a wonderful soft gel formula for massaging into the skin for makeup removal. It is not too oily whilst also not being too thick or unmanageable. I can add this onto my fingertips before massaging onto a dry face, allowing the product to dissolve my makeup to leave my skin feeling super soft and cleansed.
3. Following cleansing, the Pixi Glow Tonic is a toner that packs a punch. It is well-known in the industry for being a toning product with a little extra. Containing glycolic acid, the tonic brightens and tones the skin with an exfoliating formula that breaks down dead cells to reveal the healthy brighter cells beneath. As brutal as that sounds, the product is still fairly mild and works as a fantastic secondary step to cleansing. Just apply the product onto a cotton pad and wipe all over the face after cleansing, to gradually reduce fine lines and imperfections with continued usage.
4. For those with acne prone or break out prone skin types, the Eau Thermale Avene Cleanance Expert is a light cream with a hydrating and mattifying finish. Perfect for helping eliminate blackheads and spots by limiting the spread of bacteria, it also helps to reduce redness and smooth the skin. For those nights when you feel an imminent break out, apply the product after cleansing, or under your makeup as a base.
5. The Skyn Arctic face Oil is a saviour for those in need of ultra hydration and repair. Skyn Iceland is a brand with a creator who developed the products for her own skin, to repair the tell-tale signs of stress on her face. Each product has been developed to treat the damage caused by stress including adult acne, irritation, aging, dryness and dullness, so their products get a huge thumbs up from me. Plus the packaging looks so clean and simple, it makes me trust in what they intend to do for my skin. The Arctic Face Oil is nourishing, repairing and a total treat to apply, plus it contains ingredients that thrive in sub-zero temperatures, so for the colder months, this little product will go above and beyond to keep your skin hydrated and protected.
6. Or an option for those who prefer a cream moisturiser, the Lush Million Dollar Moisturiser is the product I talk about the most on my Youtube channel. I apply it every day as my base before foundation, and have done for the past two months. Its thick, golden finish applies a brightening, light reflecting and thick cream to the skin, that glows every time the sun hits it. I find it is the key to glowy, dewy skin and I cannot go without it these days. For the Autumn, this is perfect for when the colder days draw in and your skin has to withstand the weather. Plus with SPF30, those sunny days are catered for also.
What are your must have skincare products for the colder or blustery months?